Instantly boost your email copy writing for dazzling results
Who’s the best person to write your email copy?
It’s not you.
It’s your customer.
It’s your donor.
It’s the man, or woman, or teenager, or elderly donor, or 45 year old finance executive that’s reading your email.
That person you want to take action.
Here are 4 ways you can instantly boost your copy writing
1. Hire one of your donors or customers to write your email copy
2. Hire a copy writer that already has an excellent track record with your audience (this can be expensive)
3. Vulcan mind meld with your target audience (don’t judge me)…
4. The very best advice I ever got about copy writing: Immerse yourself in your reader’s mind to get as close to a Vulcan mind meld as possible without triggering a restraining order.
- Get to truly know your audiences’ biggest dreams, fears, what they want for their children, where they see themselves a year from now, are they bucking for promotion, trying to save their job, in a mid-life crisis?
- Be crystal clear about why your donor first committed to your cause or why your customer first bought from you. For most of us it’s a triggering event or moment. If you don’t know what that is without a question, find out before you send out your next email
- Know who they trust, you can find out by asking them. Is it their friends and colleagues, is it the Wall Street Journal, is it Oprah?
- Know them on an emotional level–what are the emotions most associated with your product or mission? Pride? Fear? Relief? Security? Panic?
- Sit quietly and feel what they might be feeling – literally feel it.
Think this “woo-woo” stuff isn’t for you?
When major brands hire expensive copy writers, the $25K a campaign copy writing gurus, the first thing a copy writer will do is completely immerse themselves in their subject.
If they are hired to write to golfers and have never picked up a golf club in their life, they will hang out in clubhouses, take a few lessons, learn the lingo, learn the frustration, learn the exhilaration of making that shot from sand trap to the cup. They’ll spend hours watching the golfing channel.
So when they write, each golfer that reads that copy thinks that the writer IS reading their mind and knows them. Connects with them. Can be trusted.
This process is why the really good copywriters are so expensive. It’s time consuming to learn this.
It’s also where the “gold” is.
It’s gold because you connect more deeply with your reader than ever before.
And, it’s gold because all of sudden you know EXACTLY what to say and when to your target audience.
No more writers block.
Your writing becomes so much easier because you really, truly know your reader.
Look, you can always outsource your copy writing, but I strongly recommend you develop expertise in-house.
Copy writing is like a fresh water well.
You’ll always need fresh water.
My deepest apologies that this week’s blog post was late.
Keep an eye out for this coming Friday’s post, back on schedule, with another great tip on how to truly connect with your readers in a way your competitors are missing out.